There was another Apple event and Steve Jobs announced some cool new gadgets. Among them was the new [amazon_link id="B0047DVVVI" target="_blank" ]11.6” Macbook Air[/amazon_link], a computer that my wife has been waiting for all the time that I’ve known her. I think there were tears in her eyes when he announced it. Today, I’ll unbox that new Macbook Air 11.6” model which I got for my wife.
The specs are:
- 1.4 GHz core 2 duo processor
- 2 GB of RAM, the max available day 2 of release at the Apple Store. (They would have the [amazon_link id="B00487X27O" target="_blank" ]4 GB model[/amazon_link] at the Apple Store soon, but she doesn’t need the space.)
Looking at the box:
On the front of the box is a side view of the Air with a black background, very sleek. The sides have the apple logo. The back of the box describes the specs of the computer.
I remove the plastic and slide the box top off to reveal the Air underneath and nice black padding on the inside of the top box. Under the computer is a black tray which holds two key items:
- The black “designed by apple in California” package containing paperwork and the software reinstall drive USB key. Apple should sell blank Apple USB drives in their stores.
- The Power adapter and extension cord.
As usual, apple has provided a simple design for packaging which functions well and looks really nice.
Looking at the Air
- Similar unibody design to [amazon_link id="B003G2ZKLS" target="_blank" ]MacBook Pro[/amazon_link]
- Power adapter like previous generation of Air.
- Left side only has power adapter, usb port, and headphone jack
- No battery status indicator
- Full size keyboard.
Comparing to other Products
- [amazon_link id="B002M3SOC4" target="_blank" ]iphone 3GS[/amazon_link]: Appears similar thickness in the back and much thinner in the front
- [amazon_link id="B00365F6G4" target="_blank" ]ipad[/amazon_link]: Similar weight and thickness
- [amazon_link id="B003G2ZKLS" target="_blank" ]15” MacBook Pro[/amazon_link]: smaller and much less bulky
- [amazon_link id="B001EYV9TM" target="_blank" ]Acer A150[/amazon_link] (this netbook was $349 at release): larger screen, slimmer, and full size keyboard makes Air far superior product than 8.9” screen and small keyboard
- Very light weight but solid construction
- Easy to carry, my wife might not even realize she has it in her bag
- Only downside is that the frame of the screen is thick.
Verdict: She’s going to love it!
Super Gadget Guy